Subscribe Us

How Catriona Le May Doan is setting the tone for Canada’s Olympic team

How would you finish this sentence? “Being Canada’s chef de mission during a pandemic is…”
Well, you know what, as soon as you start a sentence with ‘being Canada’s chef’ I will say it’s my dream. Maybe take out the pandemic [laughs]. It’s a tough sentence written like that because we can’t change situations. But it’s always been my dream to be chef and it’s the environment that we’re faced with, so we sort of confront it head on. We can’t change it.

What’s been the best part so far about this role for you?
I think what I was looking forward to the most is just being at the Games, finally being there. But it’s just the fact that I can give any sort of guidance to the athletes, to the team. I never had to deal with a pandemic, but we dealt with situations. I think people forget that Salt Lake City was five months after 9/11 … Being able to show our nation that, “Hey, these athletes are dealing with the normal struggles that everybody’s dealing with, and yet they’re continuing to pursue the role of representing themselves and their country.” Being able to show my kids that it’s a tough situation but I’m wanting to do this and help others. There’s been various great things about it.

A few chefs have described the role as cheerleading. Do you see it that way?
Oh goodness yes, and I can’t wait to watch the athletes compete. We know in the entire world, every single person is dealing with struggles, but for the athletes, once we get to Beijing, that’s sort of a check mark, celebration No. 1. And then to watch them compete? Hopefully when we get there, there are no issues and my role is to step aside. The focus needs to be on the athletes. It’s their opportunity. I do a monthly chef update, and I’ll remind them every time I talk to them: This is their story. And each of their stories is different, but tell your story and embrace that story. Because it’s part of them, it’s part of their journey.

What event are you most excited to watch live?
That’s like asking which of my kids I like the best [laughs]. I love sport at every single level. I love the city championships when you see people giving their all. I think that’s why my daily life revolves around sport, my daily work, my volunteer work, being a mom, I’m back to sport playing old lady hockey, old lady ringette. I just love sport. I don’t thrive on the competition side. I never had my best races at a Games. I don’t love that big pressure. But I love hard work. I love when people walk away from their event, regardless of the level, and say, ‘That was as good as I could be.’ That’s success. People talk about medals, but all I hope for is that every athlete can walk away from their day of competition and say: ‘That was as good as I could be on that day.’ And wow, let’s celebrate that.



How Catriona Le May Doan is setting the tone for Canada’s Olympic team
Source: Pinas Ko Mahal

Mag-post ng isang Komento

0 Mga Komento